The past decade has made it clear social media is here to stay. With platforms such as Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and others, there is something for each demographic. Some of these platforms rely on written content and sharing, Instagram uses visuals to captivate consumers. It is one of the fastest growing platforms, and is the 5th largest platform. There are many incredible stats about the platform, but here are our top 50.
- More than 1 billion people use the platform every month.
- The US has the largest population of Instagrammers with 140 million.
- Of those billion, 51% are female and 49% are male.
- Instagram users spend an average of 30 minutes each day on the platform. This includes scrolling through their feed and posting content.
- Instagrammers are more likely to follow brands than other social networkers. 50% of user follow brands.
- There are more than 25 million brand accounts on the platform.
- 200 million people visit at least one of these account profiles daily.
- Engagement with brands on Instagram is 10x higher than Facebook, 54x higher than Pinterest, and 84x higher than Twitter.
- And photos receive more engagement than videos!
- Every month 130 million users tap on shopping posts. 50% of these people visit a website and make a purchase after seeing a product or service on Instagram.
- 81% of people use the platform to research products and services more.
- 60% of Instagrammers discover new products on the platform.
- Out of the top 100 brands in the world, 90% have an Instagram account.
- The first ever photo was posted by Kevin Systrom (@kevin) on Jul 16, 2010. It was of his dog and the caption was “test.”
- Facebook bought Instagram for $1 billion in April of 2012.
- National Geographic is the second most-followed brand with 147 million followers; Instagram is the first.
- The platform is estimated to have brought in $20 billion in ad revenue in 2019.
- Portuguese soccer-player Cristiano Ronaldo has the most followers.
Tips for getting started
- To get the most out of the platform, set up a business account. Business accounts give you access to Instagram Insights, Ads, Shopping, and primary and secondary messaging inboxes. They also allow you to provide contact information and a call-to-action button on your profile!
- Just like with any marketing tool or strategy, define your goal(s). Goals can change along the way, but it helps to set clear ones when starting off.
- Do research so you know your audience. Find out when they are active, which types of hashtags they follow, which creators or influencers they follow, anything you can. This will help you be the most successful in connecting with them and converting leads to sales.
- Optimize your profile by including your company name, username, business category, , contact info, and link to your website.
- And, be sure to pick the right profile picture. Have your logo or building front clear and centered, so people know who they’re interacting with.
Including Instagram in your social media marketing efforts will increase brand awareness for your company, generate leads, convert leads to sales, and more. It can be difficult to add another social network to your digital marketing efforts, especially with various accounts, differing optimal posting days and times, and best practices. That’s where our digital marketing experts at Beeman come in. We will work with you to create engaging content and ads that will generate leads and turn those leads into sales. To learn more about the various services we offer, simply click the button below!