Twitter is one of the largest social media platforms and it doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon. It is the preferred platform for news and is great for providing quick, live updates. Here are 35 facts and stats about the platform.
History of Twitter
- It was created in March 2006 by Jack Dorsey, Evan Williams, Biz Stone, and Noah Glass and launched in July 2006
- One of the original ideas for a name was “FriendStalker.”
- The very first tweet was sent on March 21, 2006.
- The hashtag was first introduced in 2007.
- Ellen DeGeneres is responsible for the most retweeted tweet of all time.
- In November 2017, the character limit for a tweet expanded from 140 to 280.
- It took 3 years, 2 months and 1 day to go from the first tweet to the billionth.
- The 2012 election broke records with 31.7 million political tweets. Election Day was by far the most tweeted about event in US political history.
- In 2017, businesses spent $70 million on ads.
- 77% of users feel more positive about a brand when their tweet has been replied to.
- 80% of users have mentioned a brand in a tweet.
- Companies using the platform for customer service see a 19% lift in customer satisfaction.
- 67% of all B2B businesses use it as a digital marketing tool.
- 85% of small and medium business users use it to provide customer service.
- 40% of users have reported purchasing something after seeing it on the platform.
- Twitter users are 38% more likely to post opinions about brands and products than other social media users.
- 27% of adults 50+ use it.
- People spend 26% more time viewing ads on the platform than on other leading platforms.
- Tweets with images get 150% more retweets.
- 76% of consumers are likely to recommend the brand following friendly service.
Twitter User Stats
- 63% of Twitter users is between 35-65 years old.
- 66% of users are male.
- There are 145 million daily users.
- 22% of Americans are on Twitter.
- 80% of active users access the site via mobile.
- Barak Obama has the most followers at 118 million.
- The average user follows five businesses.
- According to the Vatican, you’re a better person if you follow the Pope on Twitter.
- The Library of Congress used to archive all tweets.
- The famous blue bird in the logo is named Larry.
- Katy Perry has the most followers.
- There are more than 9,000 Tweets sent every second.
- The “Face With Tears of Joy” has been used more than two billion times, making it the most popular.
- There are only 4800 employees.
- 71% of users say they use the network to get their news.
Twitter is a key element for successful social media marketing. Make sure your efforts are successful with Beeman Social Media Services! We can help you discover the times and days, copy, and hashtags that optimize follower interaction. Click the button below to learn more!